Microsoft KB Archive/256270
Article ID: 256270
Article Last Modified on 3/10/2000
- Microsoft Site Server 3.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q256270
When Site Server 3.0 Search does a file crawl, your search results may display FrontPage control files located in _vti folders. You may not want the information returned to your users.
When Search does a file crawl, it moves through the subdirectory tree under the start address and indexes the documents contained there. FrontPage creates _vti folders, along with several other FrontPage-only folders, under many folders in the Web.
To keep these folders from being indexed, perform the following steps:
- Open the properties for the catalog.
- On the Sites tab, and add a new rule for the site you are crawling. If it is the local file system, then add a site for localhost.
- Select this new site, choose Properties, click Add, type the following, and then set it to Crawl:
- Click Add, type the following, and then set it to Avoid:
Both values should be modified for your local file system and the avoid should occur before the crawl. Index Server will then avoid any folders that start with _vti. Note that these steps can be used to exclude any folder type that you do not want to index.
Keywords: kbprb KB256270