Microsoft KB Archive/256251
Article ID: 256251
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
This article was previously published under Q256251
If this article does not describe your hardware-related issue, please see the following Microsoft Web site to view more articles about hardware:
You cannot add a network adapter (including the Dial-Up adapter) in Network properties in Windows Millennium Edition (Me).
This change was implemented to increase the stability of networking in general.
To add a network adapter, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add New Hardware.
To add the Dial-Up adapter:
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click the Windows Setup tab.
- Click Communications, click Details, and then clear the Dial-Up Networking option. You may be prompted to remove the Dial-Up Server and Direct Cable Connection options as well. Select Yes, and then click OK. If the Dial-Up Networking option is not checked, select the option and proceeed to the next step.
- Click OK again. When prompted to restart select Yes.
- If you cleared the Dial-Up Networking option in step 3, follow the same procedures to select the Dial-Up Networking option. When prompted to restart, select Yes.
Additional query words: HWNICTS
Keywords: kbfaq kbhardware kbinfo kbnetwork kbui KB256251