Microsoft KB Archive/255989
Article ID: 255989
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q255989
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
If you try to run Expedia Streets and Trips 2000 while you are logged on as a user in Windows 2000, you may receive the following error message:
Because of security changes in Windows 2000, programs cannot write globally to the registry.
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To resolve this issue, modify the security permissions for the Users group on the following registry key:
To do this:
- Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
- Click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software key.
- On the Security menu, click Permissions.
- Click the Users group, and then click Advanced.
- Click Users, and then click View/Edit.
- Click to select the following check boxes under Allow. Note that some of the check boxes may already be selected:
These are the same settings as for the Power Users group. However, members of the Users group still cannot install software.
- Click OK, click OK, click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Keywords: kbappdev kberrmsg kbprb KB255989