Microsoft KB Archive/255888
Article ID: 255888
Article Last Modified on 10/28/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Mail for PC Networks 3.2
- Microsoft Mail for PC Networks 3.2a
- Microsoft Mail for PC Networks 3.5
This article was previously published under Q255888
When you attempt to migrate more than one user from a Microsoft Mail (MS Mail) postoffice to an Exchange Server 5.0 or 5.5 computer, the e-mail messages may not be migrated and the following event ID 7044 error message may be logged in the Application event log:
The user accounts and mailboxes are created in Exchange Server, but the e-mail itself is not migrated. If you migrate one user at a time, migration works.
This issue can occur if you are logged on as a user that has Service Account Administrator permissions in Exchange Server.
To resolve this issue, log on as a user that has the Permissions Administrator role selected in Exchange Server at the organization, site, and configuration levels to perform a migration of more than one user at a time.
If a user with these permissions does not exist, either use an existing Microsoft Windows NT account or create a new Windows NT account and add the correct permissions:
- In the Exchange Server Administrator program, click the Organization object, and then click the Permissions tab.
- Click Add, and then add the user to the Windows NT accounts with permissions.
- Click the user, and then click Permissions Admin in the Roles list.
- Perform the preceding steps for the Site and Configuration objects.
If you log on as a user that has the Permissions Administrator role selected at the organization, site, and configuration levels, you can migrate multiple users from MS Mail to Exchange Server at one time.
Keywords: kbprb KB255888