Microsoft KB Archive/255819
Error Message: Setup Cannot Create the Folder \Winnt\Temp
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
When you upgrade your Microsoft Windows 98/95-based computer to Windows 2000, you may receive the following error message
Setup cannot create the folder \windows folder\temp
where windows folder is either the Winnt or Windows folder. Also, after you receive the error message, the only available options are to click Retry or press F3 to exit.
This problem can occur if a file named "temp" is located in the Winnt or Windows folder.
To work around this problem, use the appropriate method:
Using FAT or FAT32 as Your File System
Start your computer to a command prompt by using the appropriate method:
Restart your computer, press and hold CTRL until your hard disk is inactive for about 10 seconds, and then press SHIFT+F5.
Restart your computer, press F8 until your hard disk is inactive for about 10 seconds, and then press SHIFT+F5. Note that when you press F8, you may hear one or more beeps indicating a keyboard error. You can safely ignore these beeps, although you may need to begin tapping F8 after the beeping starts.
- At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:
cd windows folder
ren temp tempold
- Restart your computer to permit Setup to continue.
Using NTFS as Your File System
- Start your computer with the Windows 2000 CD-ROM or by using the floppy disks made by the Makeboot.exe tool on the Windows 2000 CD-ROM.
- When you are prompted to repair or continue Setup, choose Repair, and then choose Recovery Console.
- Change to the Winnt folder, and then rename the file named temp to tempold.
- Type exit, and Setup will continue after your computer restarts.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Additional query words:
Keywords : kbenv kberrmsg kbsetup KBW2KHOME
Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbwin2000Search kbwin2000ProSearch kbwin2000Pro
Last Reviewed: October 24, 2000