Microsoft KB Archive/255809
Article ID: 255809
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Metadirectory Services 2.1
This article was previously published under Q255809
The Init.bat utility is a powerful tool. It is used by the installation program when you reinstall a VIA server. You can also use Init.bat to start over and create a new, clean directory database file. It completely deletes the current metadirectory database and reinitializes all its files.
However, because all of the Management Agent (MA) working folders are also deleted, you can potentially delete any custom MA templates that have been created. You should create a working backup of the database and make copies of your custom templates from their working folders before you run this utility.
This article describes how to use the Init.bat utility.
If you have custom MA templates, save them before you run Init.bat. To do so, record the templates to the working folder, and then copy them to an alternative location. For information about how to record MA templates, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
250479 Recording Management Agent Templates in Microsoft Metadirectory Services
Using the Init.bat Utility
- Quit the Compass Client utility.
- Stop the Zoomit Server service by typing net stop "zoomit server" at the command prompt. The quotation marks are required. You can also stop the service by using the Services tool in Control Panel (Microsoft Windows NT 4.0), Administrative tools (Microsoft Windows 2000), or the Services Management snap-in (Windows 2000).
- Copy custom MAs from the working folder. For information about the MA working folder and how to locate it, see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
254189 Description of the Management Agent Working Folders
279692 Init.bat Does Not Correctly Reinitialize the Database
- At a command prompt, change to the Zoomserv\Bin\Init folder.
- At the command prompt, type init.bat
driveis the drive on which the Zoomserv\Bin\Init exists.
Additional query words: MMS Zoomit VIA init bat
Keywords: kbinfo KB255809