Microsoft KB Archive/255068
Article ID: 255068
Article Last Modified on 6/5/2007
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
This article was previously published under Q255068
When you attempt to run the Internet Connection Wizard but are not logged in with an account that belongs to either the local Administrators group or the Power Users group, you find that you are prohibited from running this wizard. You receive the following error message:
This issue occurs because the Internet Connection Wizard runs the Modem Connection Wizard, which can be run only through accounts that have Administrator or Power User rights.
To work around this behavior, either configure the Internet Connection settings manually, or as an administrator configuring multiple computers, use the Group Policy Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in to specify the domain policy for Internet Connections. This also permits Internet Explorer to run without having to run the Internet Connection Wizard.
NOTE: The following procedure requires administrative rights. If you do not have administrative rights, ask your system administrator to add you to the local Administrator group or the Power User group.
To add an individual user to the local Administrator group or the Power User group, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
- Double-click Local Users And Computers.
- Click Users, and then click the user you want to add to the local Administrator group or the Power User group.
- Click the Member Of tab, click Add, and then click either the Administrators or the Power Users group.
- Click Add, click OK, and then click OK.
This behavior is by design.
Additional query words: w2kie
Keywords: kbprb KB255068