Microsoft KB Archive/254948
Article ID: 254948
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft MapPoint 2001 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q254948
This article describes how to install and run Microsoft MapPoint 2001 over a network.
To install and run MapPoint 2001 over a network:
- Create an installation folder on the network server. The folder name must not include any spaces.
For example, you could name the folder "MPInstall".
- Insert the MapPoint 2001 Run CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive.
- Copy the contents of the MapPoint 2001 Run CD-ROM to the folder that you created in step 1.
- Insert the MapPoint 2001 Setup CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent Setup from starting automatically.
- Copy the contents of the MapPoint 2001 Setup CD-ROM to the folder that you created in step 1.
- In the Confirm Folder Replace dialog box, click Yes to All.
NOTE: You cannot copy the contents of the MapPoint 2001 CD-ROM set to file servers that do not support long file names.
- On the client computer, map a network drive to the folder on the server in which the MapPoint 2001 files are located.
NOTE: MapPoint 2001 may not run correctly over some networks unless the folder from which MapPoint 2001 is to be run is mapped using a drive letter (as opposed to mapping the folder using a Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path, such as "\\servername\foldername").
- From the client computer, double-click the installation folder on the server.
- Double-click Setup.exe.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install MapPoint 2001 on the client computer.
- In the Microsoft MapPoint folder on the client computer, double-click Mappoint.exe.
Additional query words: mp2001 map point shared setup
Keywords: kbhowto kbnetwork kbsetup KB254948