Microsoft KB Archive/254894
PSS ID Number: 254894
Article Last Modified on 8/6/2002
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Office 2000 (Setup)
This article was previously published under Q254894
When you try to add a feature to your Office installation, you are prompted to insert your Office CD:
edition is the edition of Office that you have installed.
After you insert your CD and then click OK to the prompt, you receive the following message:
NOTE: This problem does not occur if you do not have a CD in your CD-ROM drive when you are prompted to insert your Office CD.
This problem occurs if both of the following are true:
- You have a CD, other than the CD for which you are being prompted, in your CD-ROM drive when you try to add an Office 2000 feature.
- You have Windows Installer 1.1 installed.
The Windows Installer is not refreshing the cached CD-ROM information when you insert your CD.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Click OK in the Error 1706 dialog box.
- Leave the appropriate CD in the CD-ROM drive.
- Repeat the steps to add the feature that you wanted to add to your installation. This time you are not prompted, and the feature is automatically installed.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Windows Installer 1.1 is installed by default under Windows 2000. However, you can also have this version of the Windows Installer if you upgraded to Office 2000 SR-1. So the problem is not restricted to computers running Windows 2000.
Additional query words: OFF2000
Keywords: kbbug KB254894
Technology: _IKkbZNotKeyword4 kbOffice2000Search kbOffice2000SetupSearch kbOfficeSearch kbZNotKeyword5 kbZNotKeyword6