Microsoft KB Archive/254836
Article ID: 254836
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q254836
When you run Microsoft Office 2000 Setup, you may receive the following error message:
If you click OK to this error message, Setup completes successfully.
This error message appears if the following are true:
- You are installing Office 2000 on a computer that is running Windows 2000.
- You are logged on as a power user.
- You are performing a custom installation that includes the Web Scripting feature.
In this situation, Office Setup cannot register the Mdm.exe file. The custom action that registers the Mdm.exe file cannot be elevated for security reasons. This is because on Windows 2000, Mdm.exe requires Administrator or Local System account privileges to register itself.
To work around this issue, do one of the following:
- Install Office 2000 while you are logged on as a member of the Administrators group.-or-
- Use the /j switch to install Office 2000 (as an Administrator). For example, you can use a command line similar to the following
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
You can also receive this error message if you perform a default installation of Office 2000 (while logged on as a power user), and then you try to add the Web Scripting feature via Maintenance Mode Setup or through a demand installation (this feature is set to Installed on First Use by default).
Additional query words: OFF2000
Keywords: kbbug kbnofix KB254836