Microsoft KB Archive/254750
PSS ID Number: 254750
Article Last Modified on 11/9/2000
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Visio Enterprise 5.0x
This article was previously published under Q254750
When you try to synchronize a database with a Visio Enterprise model, the Update Database and Update Model wizards may not produce the results that you expect. To work around this issue, you can re-reverse engineer your database, and then modify any views that were not converted correctly.
When you create a model of a database by using the Reverse Engineer wizard, Visio Enterprise generates the model based on the tables or views that you selected in step 3 of the wizard.
Later, if you modify the database or Visio model, you need to synchronize them. If you use the Update Model wizard to synchronize the Visio model with the database or if you use the Update Database wizard to synchronize the database with the Visio model, the results may not be what you expect.
Synchronization behaves unexpectedly in the following ways:
- The synchronization feature works only with the original set of tables that you reverse engineered. For example, after reverse engineering, if you add a table to your database, the Update Model wizard does not recognize the new table and will not update the Visio model. Follow the procedure in the "Resolution" section to work around this issue.
- When you reverse engineer a database, view objects do not display correctly in the Visio model. In addition, when you run the Update Database wizard, view objects that you create in the Visio model do not update correctly in the database. Currently, there is no workaround for this behavior.
Follow this procedure after you finish updating the database and are ready to synchronize the changes with the Visio model.
- In the Database, click Reverse Engineer.
- Follow the steps that appear in the wizard.
For help with the Reverse Engineer wizard, click Visio Help on the Help menu, click the Index tab, and then type extracting database schemas from existing databases.
- Drag the tables that you want to view from the Tables and Views window to the drawing page.
- Modify any views that are not converted correctly.
Keywords: kbprb KB254750
Technology: kbVisio500xSearch kbVisioSearch kbZNotKeyword3