Microsoft KB Archive/254374
Article ID: 254374
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q254374
When you perform a catalog mail merge and the main document of your mail merge contains text and a numbered list that you want to appear the same for each merged record, Microsoft Word applies the numbering as continuous numbering in the merged results.
For example, if the main document of your catalog mail merge contains the following numbered list
Vegetables 1. Carrots 2. Corn 3. Peas
the numbered list continues for each record of your data source in the catalog merged document, similar to the following:
Vegetables 1. Carrots 2. Corn 3. Peas Vegetables 4. Carrots 5. Corn 6. Peas
To work around this problem, use either of the following methods.
Method 1: Restart Numbering in Each Numbered List After Merging
Restart numbering for each list after you complete the catalog merge. To do this, follow these steps:
- Place the insertion point where you want the numbering to restart.
- On the Format menu, click Bullets and Numbering.
- On the Numbered tab, under List Numbering, click Restart Numbering and click OK.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for each list that you would like to restart numbering.
Method 2: Manually Number List
To manually number the list in the main document of your catalog mail merge, clear the Automatic numbered lists check box. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect.
- On the AutoFormat As You Type tab, click to clear the Automatic numbered lists check box.
- Click OK to close the AutoCorrect dialog box.
NOTE: If the main document of your catalog mail merge already contains an automatically numbered list, select the list and press CTRL+Q. This removes the automatic numbering. Then, manually number each list before you continue with your catalog mail merge.
Keywords: kbnofix kbprb KB254374