Microsoft KB Archive/254250
Article ID: 254250
Article Last Modified on 9/26/2004
- Microsoft Office 97 Standard Edition, when used with:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q254250
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
This article describes how to completely remove Microsoft Office 97 from your computer when you are using Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), or Microsoft Windows 2000.
NOTE: For information about how to remove Office 97 from other Microsoft Windows operating systems, please see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
158658 OFF97: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97
A utility that automates this process is also available. This utility is designed to be run only after you run the Setup program for Office 97 and click Remove All to remove Office.
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
176823 OFF97: Utility to Completely Remove Remaining Office 97 Files
For information about removing Microsoft Office 97 for Windows, Service Release 1 (SR-1), please click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
173431 OFF97: How to Completely Remove the SR-1 Patch and Patch Update
NOTE: After you complete the following steps, you may need to reinstall earlier versions of programs that use the shared components that Microsoft Office 97 uses. For example, to use any of the programs that are included with Microsoft Office 7.0, you may need to reinstall Microsoft Office 7.0 before you can use the programs.
WARNING: If Microsoft Outlook 98 is installed, you must remove it before you use the steps in this article to remove Microsoft Office 97.
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To remove Microsoft Office 97 from your computer, follow these steps:
- If you are using Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. If you are using Microsoft Windows XP, click Start and then click Control Panel.
- If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows Me, double-click Add/Remove Programs. If you are using Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs. In the list of installed programs, click Microsoft Office 97, and then click Change/Remove. If you installed Microsoft Office from a CD, you are prompted to insert the first CD.
If a dialog box displays a message that states that programs are running, quit the programs, and then click OK.
- In the Microsoft Office 97 Setup dialog box, click Remove All.
- When you are prompted to remove shared components, click Remove All.
If you are prompted to restart the computer after Setup is completed, restart the computer.NOTES:
- Before you delete the Microsoft Office folder, make sure that you do not have other programs, such as Microsoft Project or Microsoft Publisher, installed in the Microsoft Office folder. If you delete the Microsoft Office folder, you may need to reinstall these programs.
- Deleting the Microsoft Office folder also deletes the Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart folder, which may contain personal files. Ensure that all personal files are removed from this folder before you delete it. Also, deleting the Microsoft Office folder deletes the Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates folder, which may contain personal templates. Ensure that all personal files, including custom macros, are removed from this folder before you delete it.
Some of the files located in the folders to be removed may contain macros, templates, or other customizations that you may want to save. You should back up these files, so that you can restore them after you reinstall Office. They include the following:
- .acl except Mso97.acl
- In Windows Explorer, delete the following folders
x:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
x:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Vba
x:\Program Files\Common Files\ODBC
xis the drive letter to which Microsoft Office 97 is installed.
In Windows Explorer, delete the files in the following folders.
Windows folder ---------------- Artgalry.cag Exchng.ini Mso97.acl <username>.acl <username>.pcb
usernameis the name of the user who is logged on to the computer. If multiple users log on to the computer using different user names, each user has separate .acl and .pcb files. All of these files can be deleted.
Windows\System Folder ----------------------- accwiz.dll cnfnot32.exe comdlg16.ocx commtb32.dll convdsn.exe docobj.dll drvssrvr.hlp emsabp32.dll emsmdb32.dll emsui32.dll emsuix32.dll etexch32.dll fm20.dll fm20enu.dll hlinkprx.dll iso88591.trn jetdef35.hlp jeterr35.cnt jeterr35.hlp jetsql35.cnt jetsql35.hlp mapiform.vbx mapifvbx.tlb mapisvc.cnt minet32.dll misc2.srg mlctrl.dll mscal.cnt mscal.dep mscal.hlp mscal.ocx msexcl35.dll msforms.twd msfs32.dll msjet35.dll msjint35.dll msjter35.dll msothunk.dll msrd2x35.dll msrepl35.dll msriched.vbx msstkprp.dll mstext35.dll msxbse35.dll norweg.trn oc25.dll riched.dll pcdlib32.dll picstore.dll pubdlg.dll swedish.trn vaen2.dll system.mdw threed16.ocx usascii.trn vaen21.olb vb40016.dll vb4en16.dll wmsui.dll ven2232.olb winsspi.dll Windows\Fonts Folder (optional) ------------------------------- Arialn.ttf Arialnb.ttf Arialnbi.ttf Arialni.ttf Ariblk.ttf Bookos.ttf Bookosb.ttf Bookosbi.ttf Bookosi.ttf Bssym1.ttf Bssym2.ttf Bssym3.ttf Comic.ttf Comicbd.ttf Gara.ttf Garabd.ttf Garait.ttf Hatten.ttf Impact.ttf Mapsym.ttf Mtextra.ttf Mtsorts.ttf Outlook.ttf
- Click Start and then click Run. In the Open box, type regedit and then click OK.
- Select the following key in the registry:
- Repeat step 8, and delete the following registry keys:
NOTE: On the following registry key, delete only the values that point to the Mso97.dll, Vbe.dll, and Vba332.dll files.
NOTE: On the following registry keys, delete only the value that points to the Mso97.dll file. Do not delete any other values.
Additional Information for Removing a "Run from CD" Installation
Select the following key in the registry
and then select and delete each value that refers to the CD-ROM drive letter. For example, if your CD-ROM drive is drive D, delete any value that refers to D:\Office or D:\OS.
Select the following key in the registry
and then select and delete each value that refers to the CD-ROM drive letter and the Office or OS folders. For example, if your CD-ROM drive is drive D, delete any value that refers to D:\Office or D:\OS.
Additional query words: OFF97 uninstall removing
Keywords: kbhowto kbsetup KB254250