Microsoft KB Archive/254221
Article ID: 254221
Article Last Modified on 5/14/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q254221
For a Microsoft Outlook 2002 and Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 version of this article, see 287073.
NOTE: These procedures only apply if you have installed Outlook with the Internet Mail Only option. To determine your installation type, click About Microsoft Outlook on the Help menu. If you have the Internet Mail Only option installed, you see "Internet Mail Only".
For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
257824 OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express
This article describes how to import mail account settings and set Microsoft Outlook 2000 as your default e-mail program as part of upgrading from Microsoft Outlook Express to Outlook 2000. Additionally, the References section of this article provides other resources with information about transitioning from Outlook Express to Outlook 2000.
Importing Mail Account Settings
- In Outlook 2000, click the File menu, and then click Import and Export.
- In the Choose an action to perform list, click Import Internet Mail Account Settings, and then click Next.
- In the Select the e-mail client to import list, click Microsoft Outlook Express, and then click Next.
- Make sure that the name that is displayed is the name that you want to use, and then click Next.
- Make sure that the e-mail address is correct, and then click Next.
- Make sure that the incoming and outgoing mail servers are correct, and then click Next.
- Make sure that the account name and password are correct, and then click Next.
NOTE: If you are using Microsoft Network (MSN), the Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) check box must be selected.
- Click the method that you use to connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
- Click Finish to import your mail account settings.
Setting Outlook 2000 as the Default E-mail Program
- Quit Outlook.
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click the Internet Options icon, and then click the Programs tab.
- In the E-mail list, click Microsoft Outlook, and then click OK to save the changes.
For additional information about transitioning from Outlook Express to Outlook 2000, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
196438 WAB entries unavailable after Outlook Setup
212991 ErrMsg: 'Outlook Express 4.01 required'
218339 Windows Address Book entries not migrated
242777 Error message 'Internet mail not registered'
196215 How to import addresses from Outlook Express
195798 Outlook Newsreader shortcut not in Start menu
203278 E-mail programs that Outlook 2000 will upgrade
218317 Group details from Outlook Express contact not imported
222265 Outlook Express rules not imported after Outlook upgrade
223950 Inbox assistant rules imported from OE are not active
223957 Internet nail and news not detected on first run
224866 Outlook Express 5 mail doesn't import
224876 Error message: An OLE registration error occurred
230076 Why Outlook 2000 requires Outlook Express
249670 WAB Contact folders from Outlook Express are not imported
Additional query words: OL2K, Olexpress
Keywords: kbupgrade kbhowto KB254221