Microsoft KB Archive/254107
Article ID: 254107
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Visio 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visio 2000 Technical Edition
This article was previously published under Q254107
When you open a drawing created in an earlier version of Visio, Visio 2000 Standard Edition and Visio 2000 Technical Edition may stop responding.
This issue occurs in rare circumstances when certain types of formatting are applied to shapes on the drawing page and there are no master shapes in the document stencil with the same formatting.
Visio 2000 Standard Edition and Visio 2000 Technical Edition may stop responding when opening a drawing created in an earlier version of Visio if Visio 2000 includes a Vislib32.dll file earlier than version 18.104.22.1682.
Visio 2000 may have difficulty converting a shape from an older version if local formats are used in the following sections of the ShapeSheet:
- Text Block Format
- Shape Layout
You will not experience this issue if there are masters in the document stencil that contain:
- Any of the local formats listed above
- One or more groups
- A guide
- A foreign shape, such as a metafile or bitmap
Determine which version of Visio you have, and if applicable, install Service Release 1 (SR-1) for Microsoft Visio 2000.
To determine which version of Visio you have:
- Open Windows Explorer and find Vislib32.dll in your Visio folder.
TIP: Verify that Windows Explorer is set up to locate hidden system files such as DLLs by clicking Folder Options on the View menu, and then clicking the View tab. Click Show All Files if it is not already selected.
- Right-click the Vislib32.dll file, click Properties, and click the Version tab. Depending on what edition and version of Visio 2000 you have, the Version tab displays the following information:
- If you are using the initial release of Visio 2000 Standard Edition, the Version tab displays version 6.0. Install Service Release 1 (SR-1) for Microsoft Visio 2000.
- If you are using the initial release of Visio 2000 Technical Edition, the Version tab displays version 22.214.171.1240. Install Service Release 1 (SR-1) for Microsoft Visio 2000.
NOTE: The latest Vislib32.dll was made available after the initial release of Visio 2000 Technical Edition.
To obtain SR-1, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
263721 Overview of the Visio 2000 Service Release 1 (SR-1) Update
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Visio 2000 SR-1.
You can set most formatting options through the menus, although you must set some options directly in the ShapeSheet. To learn more about formatting options, see your Visio 2000 Standard Edition User Guide or Visio 2000 Technical Edition User Guide.
Additional query words: SR1
Keywords: kbtshoot kbopenfile KB254107