Microsoft KB Archive/254096
Article ID: 254096
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
This article was previously published under Q254096
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Support Tools are troubleshooting and development tools provided for Windows NT 3.51 x86-based and Windows NT 4.0 x86- and Alpha-based computers; including all service pack revisions. These tools are available in English language only. These tools extend the functionality of existing debugging tools such as a kernel debugger, provide new features upon which new debugging methodologies can be based, and provide development support. This article provides information about these tools, and how to install them.
IMPORTANT: OEM Support Tools Phase 3 Service Release 0 is also available and replaces OEM Support Tools Phase 2 Service Release 2. Phase 3 SR0 supports Windows NT 4.0 (x86 only) and Windows 2000. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
253066 OEM Support Tools Phase 3 Service Release 1 Availability
Phase 2 SR2 is still applicable to any of the following users:
- Phase 2 tools (any tools) users working on Windows NT 3.51 on x86 platform (Phase 3 no longer supports Windows NT 3.51)
- Phase 2 tools (any tools) users working on Windows NT 4.0 on Alpha platform (Phase 3 no longer supports Windows NT 4.0 on Alpha)
- Phase 2 Pool Enhancements users working on Windows NT 4.0 on x86 platform (Pool Enhancements were retired in Phase 3)
The following four tools/set of tools are available in OEM Support Tools Phase 2 Service Release 2:
Kernel Debugger Extensions
New debugger extensions to facilitate examination and analysis of a wider range of kernel data structures than is conveniently possible today, especially when dealing with crash dumps.
Tools for memory pool caller-tracking/tail-checking, pool logging, pool free block pattern fill, and increasing available pool statistics.
Kernel Memory Space Analyzer
A heuristics-based kernel memory crash dump analysis tool to aid in diagnosing memory corruption problems. This tool discovers and analyzes anomalies in the kernel memory space.
User Mode Process Dump
A tool that allows users to create dump files from any Win32 process, such as Csrss.exe or Explorer.exe, that can be examined using Windows Debugger. The tool allows for manual creation of dump files via the command line or hot-key, or automatic creation when exceptions occur in monitored processes.
To install the OEM Support Tools:
- The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
For additional information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to Obtain Microsoft Support Files from Online Services
- Click Save this program to disk, and then use the WinZip.exe tool to unzip the files to your computer.
- Refer to the Relnote.txt file for information regarding this release. Refer to the \Doc\Userdocs.doc file for installation and usage instructions.
NOTE: Debug symbol files are required by an administrator to do both kernel and user mode debugging, providing a method to resolve global variables and function names in the loaded executable file. Click the file names below to download the symbol files:
Keywords: kbbug kbdebug kbgraphxlinkcritical kbinfo KB254096