Microsoft KB Archive/254068
PSS ID Number: 254068
Article Last Modified on 1/7/2003
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Outlook 98
This article was previously published under Q254068
NOTE: The procedures in this article only apply if you have installed Outlook with the Corporate or Workgroup option. With this option, you can use Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) services. To determine your installation type, click About Microsoft Outlook on the Help menu. If you have the Corporate or Workgroup installation, you see "Corporate or Workgroup".
Yahoo! offers Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) e-mail and Web-based e-mail services. This article describes how to configure an Internet Mail account with Outlook.
Yahoo! offers POP3 e-mail services to its customers who join the Yahoo! Delivers program. For details about how to sign up for this service, or to check whether you already are a member, visit the Yahoo! Web site, and click the Mail link:
To access mail on the Yahoo! servers you must be a member of this Yahoo! Delivers program.
How to Configure a POP3 E-mail Account
You must designate a new incoming (POP) mail server, and a new outgoing (SMTP) mail server if you want to use an e-mail client to send and receive Yahoo! e-mail messages.
The basic server settings for Yahoo! Mail are as follows:
|Incoming Mail (POP3) Server:||pop.mail.yahoo.com|
|Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:||smtp.mail.yahoo.com|
|Account Name/Login Name:||Your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the "@yahoo.com")|
|E-mail address:||Your Yahoo! Mail address (i.e. email@example.com)|
|Password:||Your Yahoo! Mail password|
How to Add a New E-mail Account to Your Existing Profile in Outlook 98(CW)
- On the Tools menu, click Services, click Add, and then click Internet E-mail.
- Type a name for the new service, such as "Yahoo Mail."
- Type your name as you would like it to appear in the display box.
- In the E-mail Address box, type your Yahoo! Mail address (for example, "firstname.lastname@example.org"), and then click Apply.
- Click the Servers tab, and in the Incoming mail (POP3) box type: pop.mail.yahoo.com.
- In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type: smtp.mail.yahoo.com.
- In the Account Name box, type your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the "@yahoo.com").
- In the Password box, type your Yahoo! Mail password.
NOTE: Do not click to select the Log On Using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) check box.
- Click the Connection tab, and then choose the appropriate connection type.
How to Control the Deletion of Messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts, and then click the Mail Services tab.
- Select your Yahoo! Mail account, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click to select the Leave a copy of messages on server check box.
If you want your messages to be deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server once you have received them in Outlook, do not check this box.
IMPORTANT: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server now requires authentication. To turn this setting on, follow these steps:
- From the Tools menu, click Accounts.
- Click the Mail tab.
- Click your Yahoo! Mail account, and then click Properties.
- Click Servers.
- Click to select the My Server Requires Authentication check box, and then click OK.
NOTE: Some information in this article is provided by Yahoo! This information is subject to change without notice. For current information, visit the following Yahoo! Web site:
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Additional query words: OL2K
Keywords: kbConfig kbhowto kbsetup KB254068
Technology: kbOutlook98Search kbOutlookSearch kbZNotKeyword3