Microsoft KB Archive/254067
Article ID: 254067
Article Last Modified on 8/29/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q254067
Yahoo! offers Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) e-mail and Web-based e-mail services. This article describes how to configure an Internet Mail account with Outlook.
Yahoo! offers POP3 e-mail services to its customers who join the Yahoo! Delivers program. For details about how to sign up for this service, or to check whether you already are a member, visit the following Yahoo! Web site, and then click the Mail link:
To access mail on the Yahoo! servers you must be a member of this Yahoo! Delivers program.
How to Configure a POP3 E-mail Account
You must designate a new incoming (POP) mail server, and a new outgoing (SMTP) mail server if you want to use an e-mail client to send and receive Yahoo! e-mail messages.
The basic server settings for Yahoo! Mail are as follows:
|Incoming Mail (POP3) Server:||pop.mail.yahoo.com|
|Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:||smtp.mail.yahoo.com|
|Account Name/Login Name:||Your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the "@yahoo.com")|
|E-mail address:||Your Yahoo! Mail address (for example, email@example.com)|
|Password:||Your Yahoo! Mail password|
How to Add a New E-mail Account to Your Existing Profile in Outlook 97
- On the Tools menu, click Services, click Add, and then click Internet E-mail.
- Type a name for the new service, such as "Yahoo Mail."
- Type your name as you would like it to appear in the display box.
- In the E-mail Address box, type your Yahoo! Mail address (for example, "firstname.lastname@example.org"), and then click Apply.
- Click the Servers tab, and in the Incoming mail (POP3) box, type: pop.mail.yahoo.com.
- In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type: smtp.mail.yahoo.com.
- In the Account Name box, type your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the "@yahoo.com").
- In the Password box, type your Yahoo! Mail password.
NOTE: Do not click to select the Log On Using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) check box.
- Click the Connection tab, and then choose the appropriate connection type.
How to Control the Deletion of Messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts, and then click the Mail Services tab.
- Select your Yahoo! Mail account, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click to select the Leave a copy of messages on server check box.
If you do not want your messages kept on the Yahoo! Mail server once you have received them in Outlook, do not check this box.
NOTE: Some information in this article is provided by Yahoo! and may be subject to change without notice. For current information please go to the Yahoo! Web site:
Additional query words: OL2K
Keywords: kbhowto KB254067