Microsoft KB Archive/253855
Windows 2000 Hangs at "Setup Is Starting Windows 2000" Message
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
This article lists troubleshooting steps to try if Windows 2000 Text-mode Setup stops responding (hangs) while displaying the "Setup is starting Windows 2000" message.
The following items can cause Setup to hang while displaying the "Setup is starting Windows 2000" message:
- An incorrect mass-storage device (such as a SCSI or IDE controller) driver is being loaded, or the driver was not written for Windows 2000 and is not compatible. Contact the device's manufacturer or download the latest driver for the mass-storage device.
- There is a device connected to your mass-storage device that is preventing Windows 2000 from being installed. Remove any devices (such as scanners, tape drives, removable drives, and so on) from the mass-storage device controller. If the computer is IDE-based, verify that you have the master and slave designations set properly. If the mass-storage controller is SCSI-based, verify that the termination and bus speed is set properly.
- The computer does not have the latest BIOS revision. Contact the computer's manufacturer or check the manufacturer's Web site. Many manufacturers have updated their BIOS revisions to properly support Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI).
- An ACPI Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) is being used during Setup. Force the use of a non-ACPI HAL during Setup.
For additional information, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q224826 Troubleshooting Text-Mode Setup Problems on ACPI Computers
Q220845 Adding Third-Party or Updated Driver During Windows 2000 Setup
Additional query words: win2000hotsetup
Keywords : kbhw kbsetup kbtshoot KBW2KHOME
Issue type : kbinfo
Technology : kbwin2000AdvServ kbwin2000AdvServSearch kbwin2000DataServ kbwin2000DataServSearch kbwin2000Serv kbwin2000ServSearch kbwin2000Search kbwin2000ProSearch kbwin2000Pro kbWinAdvServSearch kbWinDataServSearch
Last Reviewed: October 24, 2000