Microsoft KB Archive/253788
Unable to Open Images in Same Window
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
When you attempt to open a .jpg file or any other image file, the image may be opened in a separate instance of the program that is associated with the image file type. For example, if Iexplore.exe is associated with .jpg files and you open multiple .jpg files in Windows Explorer, each .jpg file is opened in a new instance of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
This behavior occurs if Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) parameters are not specified in the file association properties for the image file type.
To resolve this issue:
- In Windows Explorer, on the View menu, click Folder Options.
- On the File Types tab, click the file type you want to edit (for example, JPEG), and then click Edit.
- In the Actions area, click Open, and then click Edit.
- Click to select the Use DDE check box.
- Fill in the DDE commands that are required for the program that is associated with the file type being edited.
For example, to use Internet Explorer to open each .jpg file in the same instance, type the following DDE commands:
Additional query words: jpg tif bmp gif same
Keywords : kbgraphic
Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbWin95search kbWin98search kbWin98SEsearch kbWin95 kbWin98 kbWin98SE
Last Reviewed: December 15, 2000