Microsoft KB Archive/253336
Article ID: 253336
Article Last Modified on 11/24/2003
- Microsoft Excel 98 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Office 98 for Macintosh
- Microsoft PowerPoint 98 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Word 98 for Macintosh
This article was previously published under Q253336
When you are working in Word 98, PowerPoint 98, or Excel 98 and you try to do one of the following actions
- Cut, copy, or paste text
- Start a wizard
- Create or edit a macro
- Insert a hyperlink
- Insert a cross-reference
- Insert an index, table of contents, table of authorities, or table of figures
- Insert an object
the following error message may appear:
When you install some programs that use OLE files, such as those in the following list, some of the Office 98 critical files may be replaced with older, incompatible versions:
- Mindspring 4.0
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Macintosh OS 9.0
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5
- Microsoft Outlook Express 5.02
This problem only occurs in the following scenarios:
- You run an Office 98 program after you install the Combined Updater for Office 98 and before you install one of the programs listed above.
- You are using Microsoft Word 98 Special Edition for iMac, and you install one of the programs listed above.
Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition installs Microsoft OLE version 2.22. When you install the Combined Updater for Office 98 or Word 98 Special Edition for iMac, OLE version 2.24 is installed. The installers for the programs listed above appear to not check for versions but just overwrite the newer file (version 2.24 or version 2.25) with the older version (2.22).
To resolve this issue, you can download and install an update for Office 98 Macintosh Edition. For additional information about the updates for Office 98 Macintosh Edition, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
273713 OFF98: How to Determine Which Office 98 Updates Are Installed
To resolve this issue until a application with older versions of the Microsoft OLE extensions is installed, follow these steps:
- Quit all programs.
- Open the System:Extensions folder, located on the hard disk drive.
- Locate and move these four extensions to the Trash:
- Microsoft Component Library
- Microsoft OLE Automation
- Microsoft OLE Library
- Microsoft Structured Storage
- Close all folders and start one of the Office 98 programs. This automatically invokes the First Run Install feature, because of the missing extensions. Fresh copies of each of these files will be installed.
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Additional query words: paste WD98 XL98 PPT98 copy error 2 two ole insert crash alert dialog type
Keywords: kbprb KB253336