Microsoft KB Archive/253301
Article ID: 253301
Article Last Modified on 8/7/2007
- Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q253301
If you log in to Visual SourceSafe on a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer, the following error message appears:
If you browse to the location of the srcsafe.ini file, select the file, and then click OK, you return to a blank list of available SourceSafe databases.
This behavior occurs because users who are not in the administrator's group have read-only permission to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SourceSafe.
To resolve this problem, use Regedt32 to grant full control or special access to the registry key.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
This bug has been fixed in Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5 (SP5).
To download service pack 5, see the Visual Studio Product Updates page on the following Microsoft Web site at:
Steps to Reproduce the Behavior
- Install Visual SourceSafe on a Windows 2000-based computer.
- Create a regular user with no administrative privileges.
- Log in to the Windows 2000-based computer as the user you created in step 2.
- Open the Visual SourceSafe explorer and log in as Admin with no password. Note that you receive the error message listed in the "Symptoms" section.
Additional query words: srcsafe
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbsetup kbvs600sp5fix KB253301