Microsoft KB Archive/253197
Article ID: 253197
Article Last Modified on 9/4/2007
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q253197
When you distribute software to a Systems Management Server (SMS) client, the following error message may be displayed when the advertisement runs:
You may also see the following entry in the Smsapm32.log file:
On the client, the program (the .exe file) may have a status of "Started" in Task Manager, even though it is no longer active.
This behavior can occur if the Setup file that is used by the advertised program uses the Msvcrt.dll run-time library file from Microsoft Visual C++, and if one of the following options is enabled on the Environment tab in the program properties:
- Run with administrative rights
- Use Windows NT client software installation account
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Systems Management Server service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The typical support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
The International Client Pack 5 (ICP5) version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
Date Time Version Size File name Platform ----------------------------------------------------------------- 11/16/99 11:03pm 2.00.1380.1077 233,312 Abnwcli.dll I386 02/14/00 05:19pm 367,800 Apasetup.exe I386 10/21/99 01:56pm 2.00.1380.1060 259,936 Bindclin.dll I386 11/10/99 10:42pm 2.00.1380.1072 160,080 Ccim32.dll I386 04/03/00 05:48pm 1,328,039 Ccmcore.exe I386 04/03/00 05:47pm 8,555,969 Clicore.exe I386 11/03/99 09:01pm 2.00.1380.1063 76,656 Clisvcl.exe I386 10/01/99 02:22pm 2.00.1380.1051 157,536 Falclin.dll I386 10/27/99 06:33pm 2.00.1380.1063 335,712 Mslmclin.dll I386 11/11/99 05:01am 2.00.1380.1060 269,664 Ndsclin.dll I386 11/30/99 04:59pm 2.00.1380.1082 75,120 Progrm32.dll I386 11/23/99 01:23pm 2.00.1380.1081 209,264 Smsapm32.exe I386 02/11/00 09:44pm 2.00.1380.1802 67 Compver.ini I386 11/16/99 10:39pm 2.00.1380.1077 410,896 Abnwcli.dll Alpha 02/14/00 03:25pm 630,099 Apasetup.exe Alpha 11/10/99 10:42pm 2.00.1380.1072 255,760 Ccim32.dll Alpha 04/03/00 03:51pm 1,935,579 Ccmcore.exe Alpha 04/03/00 03:50pm 11,616,822 Clicore.exe Alpha 11/03/99 09:00pm 2.00.1380.1063 110,352 Clisvcl.exe Alpha 10/01/99 02:22pm 2.00.1380.1051 285,968 Falclin.dll Alpha 10/27/99 06:33pm 2.00.1380.1063 575,760 Mslmclin.dll Alpha 11/30/99 05:00pm 2.00.1380.1082 122,640 Progrm32.dll Alpha 11/23/99 01:24pm 2.00.1380.1081 279,824 Smsapm32.exe Alpha 02/11/00 09:44pm 2.00.1380.1802 67 Compver.ini Alpha
NOTE: Because of file dependencies, the most recent hotfix or feature that contains the above files may also contain additional files.
To work around this behavior, do not enable the Run with administrative rights or Use Windows NT client software installation account option.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 2.0.
To install the hotfix, use either of the following methods.
Method 1: Using the Hotfix Installer
NOTE: This method only works on I386-based computers.
- Copy the hotfix folder structure to a share on your network. The Q253197.exe file is a Microsoft Windows Installer file that updates specific files on your site server.
- Log on to your site server using an account with administrative privileges.
- On the site server, close the SMS Administrator console.
- Start Q253197.exe and follow the directions in the wizard. You can run the program in Quiet mode by using the /s switch.
Method 2: Manual Installation
NOTE: You can use this method for both I386-based and Alpha-based site servers.
- Copy the hotfix folder structure to a local subfolder on your site server or to a share on your network.
- Close the SMS Administrator console and stop all SMS services.
- Copy the following files from the hotfix I386 folder into the
- If Alpha-based support is enabled on the primary site, copy the following files from the hotfix Alpha folder into the
- Copy the following files from the appropriate platform subfolder into the
- Copy the Apasetup.exe file from the appropriate platform subfolder into the
- Copy the updated Compver.ini file to the
- Copy the updated Compver.ini file to the
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
242489 Run-Time Error When Advertising MFC-Based Package (English Version)
Additional query words: prodsms apm mfc runtime
Keywords: kbbug kberrmsg kbfix kbqfe KB253197