Microsoft KB Archive/252511
PSS ID Number: 252511
Article Last Modified on 5/14/2003
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP4
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP5
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP4
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP5
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP6
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a
- Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition 4.0 SP4
- Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition 4.0 SP5
- Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition 4.0 SP6
- Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition 4.0 SP6a
This article was previously published under Q252511
A Windows NT client with statically assigned Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS) and Internet Protocol (IP) addresses may, under certain conditions, switch between the primary and the secondary WINS servers for name registrations, even though there is no loss of connectivity to the other WINS server.
An error in the algorithm that determines whether it is time to switch or refresh causes the client to switch between the two servers.
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows NT 4.0 service pack that contains this fix.
To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The typical support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
Date Time Size File name Platform ------------------------------------------------------------- 01/25/2000 04:53p 222,960 Netbt.sys Alpha 01/25/2000 04:54p 123,152 Netbt.sys x86
Use dynamically assigned IP addresses.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Keywords: kbbug kbfix kbQFE KB252511
Technology: kbWinNT400search kbWinNTS400 kbWinNTS400search kbWinNTS400sp4 kbWinNTS400sp5 kbWinNTS400sp6 kbWinNTsearch kbWinNTSEnt400 kbWinNTSEnt400sp4 kbWinNTSEnt400sp5 kbWinNTSEnt400sp6 kbWinNTSEnt400SP6a kbWinNTSEntSearch kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTW400 kbWinNTW400search kbWinNTW400sp4 kbWinNTW400sp5 kbWinNTW400sp6 kbWinNTW400SP6a kbWinNTWsearch