Microsoft KB Archive/252137
Article ID: 252137
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2007
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q252137
The system attendant (Mad.exe) is unable to start. The following event appears in the application log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: General
Event ID: 1005
Time: 1:12:37 PM
Description: Unexpected error The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Facility: Win32 ID no: c007054b Microsoft Exchange System Attendant occurred.
The computer running Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server or Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 cannot contact a global catalog server.
Ensure that a global catalog server is available. The procedure in the "More Information" demonstrates how make a Microsoft Windows 2000 domain controller a global catalog server.
To make a Windows 2000 domain controller a global catalog server:
- Start the Active Directory Sites and Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in.
- Expand both the Site and the Servers containers.
- Select the server that you want to make a global catalog server.
- Right-click the NTDS Settings object in the right pane, and then click Properties.
- Click to select the Global Catalog check box.
- Click OK.
- Make sure to immediately restart the domain controller after you make it a global catalog server to ensure that the Name Service Provider Interface (NSPI) is successfully loaded (as it cannot be loaded dynamically).
Additional query words: reviewdocid exch2kp2w XADM
Keywords: kbbug kbnofix kbprb KB252137