Microsoft KB Archive/250991
Article ID: 250991
Article Last Modified on 3/1/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
This article was previously published under Q250991
When you attempt to connect to a Terminal Services-based server that is in Remote Administration mode, you may receive the following error messages:
When a Terminal Services-based server is running in Remote Administration mode, there is a maximum connection limit of two sessions. Active and disconnected sessions are calculated in this connection limit; the Administrator account is not exempt from this connection limit. The console session, however, does not count against the connection limit.
To resolve this issue:
- Log on to the Terminal Services-based server locally.
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Terminal Services Manager.
- Click the appropriate Terminal Services-based server. Note the Users Tab in the right pane.
- If there are two remote sessions, right-click one of the users with a Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) session, and then click Logoff. (A reset also accomplishes this goal, but does not save profile changes.)
If you cannot gain access to the console on the Terminal Services-based server, you may have to ask someone to log off. If there are disconnected sessions, you can log on to those sessions.
If you cannot access the local console, you can run the Terminal Services Administration tool from another computer. Using an Administrator account in the domain, click Start, click Run, type \\
terminalservername\c$, and then click OK. Open the Winnt\System32 folder, and then double-click Tsadmin.exe. In Terminal Services Administrator, click your server, and then click the Sessions tab. Right-click the disconnected session, and then click Reset.
NOTE: All data not saved in this session will be lost.
This behavior is by design.
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
243212 Determining the Mode of a Terminal Services Server
246109 Error Messages Generated When Logging on with Terminal Services Client
Keywords: kbenv kberrmsg kbprb KB250991