Microsoft KB Archive/250908
Article ID: 250908
Article Last Modified on 10/30/2006
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q250908
This article explains how to restrict users from gaining access to a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer through telnet.
Create a local user group, and then add the users that are to have access to the Windows 2000-based computer through telnet. Follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
- Expand Local Users And Groups, and then click Groups.
- Click Action, and then click New Group.
- In the Group Name box, type TelnetClients.
- In the Description box, type a description of the group.
- Click Add, and then add the users who are to have telnet access to the computer.
- Click Create, and then click Close.
NOTE: When there is a TelnetClients group, only users who are members of this group have telnet access to the computer, unless those users are administrators of the computer. Members of the Administrators group will always have access via Telnet regardless of their membership, or lack thereof, in the TelnetClients group..
Keywords: kbinfo kbreadme KB250908