Microsoft KB Archive/250903
Article ID: 250903
Article Last Modified on 10/27/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q250903
After you remove the Fenestrae Faxination for Microsoft Exchange program from a computer running Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0, you may not be able to gain access to recipients' mailboxes. The following error message may appear on your screen:
This behavior can occur if the Exchange Administrator program is still calling the .dll files for the Faxination connector even though the connector has been removed and can no longer be accessed. This is also a result of an incomplete removal of the connector.
CAUTION: Using the raw mode of the Exchange Server Administrator program (admin /r) incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Microsoft Windows NT Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, or both. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of raw mode can be solved. Use raw mode at your own risk.
To resolve this behavior, remove the fuserext value from the Extension-Name-Inherited attribute in the raw properties of the Recipients container of the affected mailbox. Follow these steps:
- Start the Exchange Administrator program in raw mode:
- Start Command Prompt, and use the cd command to change to the Exchsrvr/Bin folder.
- Use the admin /r command, and then press ENTER.
- Click the Recipients container of the affected mailbox, and then click Raw Properties on the File menu.
- Click Extension-Name-Inherited in the Object Attributes list, delete fuserext from the Edit Value box, and then click Set.
NOTE: If you cannot see Extension-Name-Inherited in the list, select All from the List Attributes Of Type list.
- Click OK.
- Before performing any other actions, quit the raw mode of the Exchange Administrator program and restart the Exchange Administrator program in the usual manner.
If possible, run an Uninstall program for the Faxination connector. If no automated uninstall program or method exists for the connector, proceed with the following steps:
- After removing the Faxination connector, verify that all mention of the Faxination software has been removed from the Exchange Server Administrator program:
- At the site level, click to expand the Configuration container, and then click to expand the Add-Ins container to confirm that there is no listing of the Faxination software.
- At the site level, click to expand the Addressing container, and then click to expand the E-Mail Address Generators container to confirm that there is no listing of the Faxination software.
- At the site level, click to expand the Configuration container. Locate the Site Addressing object on the right side, and then open the Site Addressing Properties page. Click the Site Addressing tab and verify that there is no listing of the Faxination proxy. If there is a listing, make sure the Faxination proxy is not selected.
Verify that all mention of the Faxination software has been removed from the registry. Check the following registry key for any remaining Faxination subkeys:
Additional query words: fax add-in
Keywords: kbprb KB250903