Microsoft KB Archive/249974
Article ID: 249974
Article Last Modified on 1/27/2007
- Microsoft Office 97 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Office 97 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q249974
This article explains how to determine whether Microsoft Office 97 (SR-2) is installed.
SR-2 is available as:
- A patch, which you can download to update an existing installation of Microsoft Office 97.
- A full CD version called the SR-2 Enterprise Update, which you can use to reinstall an updated version of Microsoft Office 97.
For more information about Office 97 (SR-2), please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
151261 OFF97: How to Obtain and Install MS Office 97 SR-2
151020 OFF97: List of Fixed Problems in Office 97 for Windows, SR-2
192874 OFF97: An Overview of Microsoft Office 97 SR-2
To determine whether SR-2 is installed, use any of the following methods.
Method 1: Find the 97sr2_<#>.log File (for the Patch Version)
To use this method, find the following file:
Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\97sr2_<#>.log
where <#> is an integer.
NOTE: After you first install the patch, the integer is 0. Each time you reinstall the patch, the integer in the file name is incremented by 1.
NOTE: This file exists only if you install the SR-2 Patch.
Method 2: Look at the About Dialog Box
To use this method, look at the About dialog box in each Office 97 program for an updated version number. For example, for Microsoft Excel, follow these steps:
- Open Microsoft Excel 97.
- On the Help menu, click About Microsoft Excel.
- Determine whether the dialog box contains the following text:
Microsoft Excel 97 SR-2
Method 3: Look at the STF File (for the SR-2 Enterprise Update)
To use this method, open the STF file and read the App Version line for an updated version number. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Start menu, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click WordPad.
- On the File menu, click Open, and then open the following file:
Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Setup\<filename>.stf
NOTE: <Filename> depends on the version of Microsoft Office you installed. For example, the Professional version has the following file name:
- Note the version in the second line of text. This line appears similar to the following:
App Version 97.2.0.0715(1033)
The integer 2 that follows 97 identifies SR-2. This number is 0 if neither SR-1 nor SR-2 is installed; the number is 1 if SR-1 is installed. For example, if the CD versions of SR-1 or SR-2 are NOT installed, the number appears similar to the following:
NOTE: The STF displays the new version number only if you use the CD version of SR-2.
Method 4: Look at the Registry
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
The SR-2 patch Setup creates a registry key when installed. Look to see whether the registry key exists. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Start menu, click Run. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Look to see whether the following registry key exists:
For information about problems you may encounter installing SR-2, please see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
192816 OFF97: SR-2 Patch Fails Even Though SR-1 Has Been Installed
193565 OFF97: SR-2 Patch Can't Update Admin Install Without Bookshelf
193857 OFF97: SR-2 Patch Fails If Files Are Read-Only
193290 OFF97: SR-2 Patch May Fail to Update Admin Installation
249275 OFF97: 'Required Source Cannot Be Located' Running SR-1 or SR-2
Additional query words: detect sr2 97sr2_0.txt 97sr2_1.txt sbe OFF97
Keywords: kbfaq kbhowto kbsetup KB249974