Microsoft KB Archive/249958
Article ID: 249958
Article Last Modified on 3/20/2006
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
This article was previously published under Q249958
When you double-click any Microsoft Office file that was created in Microsoft Office version 4.3, the following error message may appear:
where <Program> is the name of the executable file (.exe), and <ProgramFileType> is the name of the program's file type.
This issue occurs if the following are true:
- You previously installed Microsoft Office version 4.3. -and-
- You previously installed Windows Installer version 1.1. -and-
- You upgraded to Microsoft Office 2000.
To resolve this problem, obtain Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a).
To obtain SR-1/SR-1a, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
245025 OFF2000: How to Obtain and Install Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a)
To temporarily work around this problem, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Associate the Office File Extensions
To associate the Office file extensions with the appropriate executable file (.exe) in Office 2000, use the following steps:
NOTE: The following is a list of the file extensions for Office.
Office Program Program File Type Extension -------------- ----------------- --------- Microsoft Access Microsoft Access Application .mdb Microsoft Excel Microsoft Excel Worksheet .xls Microsoft PowerPoint Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation .ppt Microsoft Word Microsoft Word Document .doc
- On the Start menu, point to Programs, and then click Windows NT Explorer.
- On the View menu, click Options.
- Click the File Types tab.
- In the Registered file types list, click Microsoft Access Application. Click Edit.
- In the Actions list, click Open. Click Edit.
- Edit the path in the Application used to perform action edit box to read "<Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msaccess.exe" (including the quotation marks).
- Click OK, and then click Close.
- Repeat Steps 4 through 7 for the remaining Office programs.
NOTE: If Microsoft Access Application is not listed in the Registered file types list, skip to Microsoft Excel Worksheet.
Method 2: Reinstall Office 2000
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- On the Install/Uninstall tab, double-click Microsoft Office 2000 <Version>.
- Click Repair Office, select Reinstall Office, and then click Finish.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a.
Additional query words: OFF2000
Keywords: kbbug KB249958