Microsoft KB Archive/249428
Article ID: 249428
Article Last Modified on 8/8/2006
- Microsoft IntelliMouse with IntelliEye
- Visio 5.0 Technical
- Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1
- Microsoft Intellimouse Trackball Explorer
- Microsoft Intellimouse Trackball Optical
- Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0
This article was previously published under Q249428
If this article does not describe your hardware-related issue, please see the following Microsoft Web site to view more articles about hardware:
When you connect a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer mouse to the Universal Serial Bus (USB) port in your computer, the light inside the mouse may not turn on, and the mouse may not respond. In addition, a yellow exclamation mark may appear on the icon for the IntelliMouse Explorer in Device Manager.
When you view the properties of the device, you may receive the following error message on the Status line:
This behavior can occur if both of the following conditions are true:
- An OEM version of Microsoft Windows 98 or an OEM version of Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE) is installed on your computer.
- The Hidclass.sys, Hidparse.sys, or Hidusb.sys files are missing or improperly installed.
To resolve this issue, use the following methods in the order in which they are presented.
Verify That the Hidclass.sys, Hidparse.sys, or Hidusb.sys Files Are in the Windows\System32\Drivers Folder
To verify that the Hidclass.sys, Hidparse.sys, or Hidusb.sys files are in the Windows\System32\Drivers folder:
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type hidusb.sys hidparse.sys hidclass.sys.
- In the Look in box, click My Computer, and then click Find Now.
- In the list of found files, verify that the Hidusb.sys, Hidparse.sys, and Hidclass.sys files are all located in the following folder:
Reinstall Any Missing Files
If the Hidusb.sys, Hidparse.sys, or Hidclass.sys file is missing from the Windows\System32\Drivers folder, extract a new copy of that file from the OEM Windows 98 CD-ROM, and then install the file in the Windows\System32\Drivers folder. To do this:
- Insert the OEM Windows 98 CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent Windows Setup from starting automatically.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type sfc, and then click OK.
- Click Extract one file from installation disk.
- In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type the name of the missing file, and then click Start.
- In the Restore from box, type the following line
driveis the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive.
- In the Save file in box, type the following line, and then click OK
driveis the drive letter of the hard disk on which Windows 98 is installed.
- Click OK, and then click OK again.
- When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.
Repeat these steps to reinstall each missing file.
Additional query words: HWUSB HWMOUSE 1.00 intelli imouse
Keywords: kbhardware kbenv kbprb KB249428