Microsoft KB Archive/249344
Article ID: 249344
Article Last Modified on 8/15/2001
- Microsoft Visual InterDev 6.0 Standard Edition, when used with:
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions
This article was previously published under Q249344
When you attempt to create a new project in Visual InterDev, the following error message may appear:
The error can occur if the Creator Owner group has incorrect NTFS file system permissions on the root folder of the Web server. When new subwebs are created, they inherit the permissions of the root Web, and therefore they inherit the permission problem.
Create a new project in Visual InterDev that connects to the existing root Web by performing the following steps:
- From the File menu, click New Project.
- In the New Project dialog box, type a name for your solution, and then click Open.
- In step 1 of the Web Project Wizard, specify the server you want to use, and then click Next.
- In step 2 of the Web Project Wizard, select the option connect to an existing Web application. In the Name drop-down box, click <Root Web>, and then click Finish.
You may receive the above-mentioned error message when you perform these steps because the problem is inherited from the root Web. If the error occurs, simply acknowledge the error by clicking OK, and your project will continue to load. After the solution has been created to your root Web, you can modify the permissions of that Web by using the following steps:
- In the Project Explorer, click the project name or any files that are located in the project.
- From the Project menu, click Web Permissions from the Web Projects submenu.
- In the Permissions dialog box, on the Groups tab, remove the CREATOR OWNER group. Leave the other remaining groups as they appear, and then click OK.
Now that the creator owner has been removed, the last step is to run a check on the server extensions to make sure that they are working correctly. To do this, follow these steps:
- From the Start menu, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Server Extensions Administrator.
- Click to expand the FrontPage Server Extensions node, which is located under the console root.
- Right-click your computer name. From the All Tasks submenu, click Check Server Extensions.
- If you are prompted to tighten security, click Yes.
- Click Close after the check is completed
You should now be able to create new projects on your Web server.
Keywords: kbdeployment kbprb kbsecurity kbwebserver KB249344