Microsoft KB Archive/248766
OL2000: Utility to Fix vCard Export Available
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Outlook 2000
- Microsoft Outlook 97
- Microsoft Outlook 98
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.01, contains an updated Wab32.dll file. This file provides improvements to the address book, but introduces a problem with vCard creation in Microsoft Outlook. For additional information about this problem, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q247326 OL2000: Error Message: Can't Open File When You Export or Forward a vCard
As a work around for this problem, Product Support Services has created a sample application that provides a basis set of vCard features. The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center. Click the file name below to download the file:
For more information about how to download files from the Microsoft Download Center, please visit the Download Center at the following Web address
and then click How to use the Microsoft Download Center.
Microsoft used the most current virus detection software available on the date of posting to scan this file for viruses. Once posted, the file is housed on secure servers that prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
WARNING: ANY USE BY YOU OF PSSVCARD 1.0 IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Microsoft provides the utility in the Microsoft Download Center "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose. Use by you of the utility is not supported by Microsoft Technical Support professionals. Feedback can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Because the Wab32.dll file is shared by many other products, it takes time to create and test a fix for the vCard problem. Microsoft is investigating the best way to provide a fix to the Wab32.dll file. In the meantime, Product Support Services has created a sample application that will allow basic exporting and forwarding of vCard information until a fix is available. See the "Issues" section for a list of fields that are exported.
As an additional benefit, Pssvcard.exe will allow users of Outlook 97 to export and forward vCard information.
Since this sample application has not undergone rigorous testing, you should ask people to whom you send these vCards to confirm that the information in the card was received and interpreted properly.
To Use the Utility
- Download the Pssvc.exe file to a new folder on your computer, and double-click the file to uncompress the files it contains.
- Start Outlook and open a contact record.
- Navigate to the folder you downloaded Pssvc.exe file to. Double-click Pssvcard.exe.
You must have a contact item open to use the Vcard buttons. The ? button will provide basic information about the utility.
- The utility is for English (US) Outlook only, and has no provisions for international language settings.
- The "Forward as Vcard" process creates a temporary file called PssvCard.vcf in the root folder of the C drive, so you must have write access to that location for the utility to work.
- If you have an open dialog box in Outlook and try to use the vCard buttons, the utility may error and have to be restarted.
- Depending on your message format, Autosignatures may not be added to the message created when you use the Forward as Vcard button. The workaround is to manually insert the Autosignature.
- Only the current e-mail address is saved as a vCard, and whether it is an SMTP address or not, it is saved to the vCard as an address of INTERNET type.
- As with the built-in Vcard features, if you have a semicolon (;) in an address, the address will not be interpreted correctly when it is sent or saved as a vCard. The workaround is to change the semicolon to a dash or other character before exporting to a vCard.
- Not all fields of contact information are converted to the vCard format. Fields not listed below are not exported. Note that the Body, or Notes fields are not exported.
Fields that are exported are:
LastName FirstName MiddleName Title NickName JobTitle CompanyName DepartmentName BusinessTelephoneNumber HomeTelephoneNumber MobileTelephoneNumber BusinessFaxNumber OfficeLocation BusinessAddressStreet BusinessAddressPostOfficeBox BusinessAddressCity BusinessAddressState BusinessAddressPostalCode BusinessAddressCountry HomeAddressStreet HomeAddressPostOfficeBox HomeAddressCity HomeAddressState HomeAddressPostalCode HomeAddressCountry OtherAddressStreet OtherAddressPostOfficeBox OtherAddressCity OtherAddressState OtherAddressPostalCode OtherAddressCountry WebPage Profession Birthday Email1Address
Additional query words: OL2K
Keywords : kbfile
Version : WINDOWS:2000,97,98
Issue type :
Last Reviewed: October 17, 2000