Microsoft KB Archive/248675
Article ID: 248675
Article Last Modified on 6/19/2001
- Microsoft Visual InterDev 6.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Visual J++ 6.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q248675
When you start Visual InterDev or Visual J++, the following error message appears:
Msenv.dll failed to register during Visual InterDev, Visual J++, or Visual Studio setup.
NOTE: The problem can appear in a Visual Studio installation that does not include Visual InterDev and that is followed by a Visual J++ installation. The resolution described in the article works for this scenario.
Use Regsvr32 to register Msenv.dll using one of the following methods:
- At an MS-DOS prompt, type: cd c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\IDE\IDE98 and press ENTER.
Next, type regsvr32 msenv.dll and press ENTER. A "completed successfully" message will appear.
- From the Start menu, click Run and type regsvr32 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\IDE\Ide98\Msenv.dll and click OK.
- On the Start menu, use Find, or Search (Windows 2000), and search for Msenv.dll on your local hard drives. Next, point to Start, click Run, and type Regsvr32. Drag Msenv.dll from the Find or Search box into the Run box after Regsvr32 and click OK.
NOTE: The file location may be different if Visual InterDev was installed into any other folder other than the default.
This behavior is by design.
To reproduce this behavior: Unregister Msenv.dll and try to start Visual InterDev.
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
243898 HOWTO: Visual InterDev 6.0 Installation Tips
Keywords: kbprb KB248675