Microsoft KB Archive/248468
Article ID: 248468
Article Last Modified on 11/24/2003
- Microsoft SNA Server 4.0 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft SNA Server 4.0 Service Pack 3
This article was previously published under Q248468
This article describes how to install these Microsoft data providers for use in a Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)-only environment:
- Microsoft ODBC Driver for DB2
- Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2
- Microsoft OLE DB Provider for AS/400 and VSAM
These Microsoft data providers can all be configured to connect directly to a host system via TCP/IP. In this scenario, no SNA server services need to be running. However, these data providers can only be installed as part of the SNA server or SNA client installation process, and consequently the SNA services are always installed when running these Setup programs. Setup cannot be completed without configuring these SNA services.
For users who require TCP/IP-only access through these Microsoft data providers, the following steps should be taken:
- Install the Microsoft SNA client software. When prompted, choose Select Components and select the appropriate Microsoft data providers.
- When prompted to select a client/server protocol, select TCP/IP and click Continue.
- When prompted to select a client mode, select Client locates server by name and click Continue.
- When prompted to enter a remote server name, enter a fictitious server name (for example, far) and press Continue.
- In the Windows NT version, when prompted for server domain account information, click OK. This will install the SNA services using the local system account. When prompted to confirm this choice, click OK .
- When Setup finishes, restart Windows.
- The final step is to disable the SNA services. This step is necessary only for the Windows NT client, not for the Windows 95 and Windows 98 clients.
For the Windows NT client, disable the SNA Base service using the Services program in Control Panel.
For additional information on configuring these Microsoft data providers, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
216428 Configuring Microsoft ODBC Driver for DB2
218590 INF: Configuring Data Sources for the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2
219077 INF: Configuring Data Sources for the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for AS/400 and VSAM
NOTE: The Microsoft data providers referenced in this article are covered by the SNA server and SNA client End User License Agreements. A valid client license is required for each installation of the SNA client software.