Microsoft KB Archive/248425
Article ID: 248425
Article Last Modified on 10/27/2006
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q248425
When Setup attempts to modify the folder during an Exchange Server service pack upgrade, you may receive the following error message:
This behavior occurs if the Site Addressing object for the Microsoft Mail Connector is inappropriately modified or removed. The error message can also occur if you attempt to remove Microsoft Mail Connector during Exchange Server Setup.
Use the Exchange Server Administrator program in raw mode to edit the Site Addressing object and add\modify the Microsoft Mail proxy address.
WARNING: If you use the raw mode of the Exchange Server Administrator program (admin /r) incorrectly, serious problems may occur that may require you to reinstall Microsoft Windows NT Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, or both. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems that result from using raw mode incorrectly can be solved. Use raw mode at your own risk.
- Start the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator program in raw mode by typing the following at a command prompt:
- Click the Site\Configuration\Site Addressing object.
- On the File menu, click Raw Properties.
- Click the Gateway-Proxy object attribute.
- Click the MS address type in the Attribute values section.
- In the Edit value section, modify the address to match the following format:
NOTE: If the MS address type does not exist, delete the existing contents of the Edit value section, add the appropriate MS e-mail address type (as displayed in the example above), click Add, click Apply, and then click OK.
- Click Set, click Apply, and then click OK.
- Let this action replicate (this action adds an MS type e-mail address on the Site Addressing tab).
You now have the ability to apply an Exchange Server service pack or remove Microsoft Mail Connector by running Exchange Server 5.5 Setup.
Keywords: kbenv kbprb KB248425