Microsoft KB Archive/248148
Article ID: 248148
Article Last Modified on 5/24/2007
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q248148
When you compose a new message in Outlook, you may encounter the following error message:
This error can occur for several reasons:
- You have manually deleted the signature file or it is located on a network drive that is currently inaccessible.
- You have edited the signature file using Word or Excel and have not quit the Office application.
- You have uninstalled Outlook 2000 and attempted to use Outlook 97 or 98 without rebooting and reinstalling the Outlook client.
Workarounds for the possible causes are as follows:
- Recreate the deleted signature file, and then retry creating a new message, or remap the network drive that is currently unavailable.
- Quit the Office application that is locking the file open, and then compose a new message.
- Reboot the computer and reinstall the Outlook client. Outlook 2000, 98, and 97 use a different registry key location to specify where to store the signature file, so you may want to copy the .sig file to another location for later use.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Keywords: kbbug kbpending KB248148