Microsoft KB Archive/247913
Article ID: 247913
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q247913
This article explains how to replace a backup domain controller (BDC) with a new computer and give the new computer the same computer name and Internet Protocol (IP) address as the BDC you are replacing.
- Change the name and IP address of the existing BDC computer:
- In Control Panel, double-click Network.
- On the Identification tab, click Change, type a new computer name, and then click OK.
- On the Protocols tab, double-click TCP/IP Protocol. On the IP Address tab, change the IP address to a different, valid IP address.
- Close the Network dialog box, and then restart the computer.
- Start Server Manager, and then delete the computer account of the old BDC from the primary domain controller (PDC).
- Install the new BDC, and give it the computer name that the old BDC used.
- During installation, use the IP address that the old BDC used, and create a computer account in the domain for the new BDC.
- To preserve share and file permissions, run the Permcopy.exe utility or the Scopy.exe utility to copy shares and files from the old BDC to the new BDC.
NOTE: You can find the Permcopy.exe and Scopy.exe utilities in the Microsoft Windows NT Server Resource Kit Supplement 2 or later.
Keywords: kbinfo KB247913