Microsoft KB Archive/247572
Article ID: 247572
Article Last Modified on 7/24/2007
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q247572
The AddSystem and Addsytemgui utilities in the Systems Management Server (SMS) Resource Kit have the following problems:
- They are hard coded to create a DDR with the sitecode set to BER.
- They do not set and key properties on DDRAddxxx functions. Because of this, if Addsytem is run again on the same computer, a duplicate resource is created under SMS. Note that DDM has no way of checking if the resource already exists.
- Addsytem sets some wrong properties in the DDR and misses some required ones.
- Operating System Name and Version property is hard coded to Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 4.0. This should be set dependent on the operating system installed (Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows NT Advanced Server 4.0). This would permit the remote installation service to act on operating system type if the administrator has set specific types to be installed, such as workstations only, servers only, and so on.
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem, submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. To submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Note If additional issues occur or any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. To create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
Date Time Size File name Platform -------------------------------------------------------------- 12/20/1999 6:58PM 21 KB AddSystem.exe i386 3/1/2000 8:00PM 112 KB Addsysgui.exe i386 12/20/1999 6:58PM 9 KB AddSystem.exe alpha 3/1/2000 8:00PM 213 KB Addsysgui.exe alpha
NOTE: Due to file dependencies, the most recent hotfix or feature that contains the above files may also contain additional files.
To install the hotfix, replace the current files with the ones listed above.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 2.0.
Additional query words: prodsms
Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbbug kbenv kbfix KB247572