Microsoft KB Archive/247489
Article ID: 247489
Article Last Modified on 1/25/2007
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q247489
Moderate: Requires basic macro, coding, and interoperability skills.
This article applies only to a Microsoft Access database (.mdb).
In Microsoft Access 97, when you try to open a replica that you have compacted with Microsoft Access 2000, you receive the following error message:
Then, the database is not opened.
Compacting a Microsoft Jet 3.5 replica with Microsoft Jet 4.0 (Access 2000) makes the database unusable in Access 97.
If you plan to use Jet 3.5 replicas, compact the replicas when you need to on a computer that is running Access 97 and the latest version of Jet 3.5x.
For additional information on updating Jet 3.5, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
172733 Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- In Access 97, create a replica of the sample database Northwind.mdb.
- Open Access 2000, and then compact the replica into the new name, TestReplica.mdb.
- Try to open TestReplica.mdb in Access 97.
Note that you receive the following error:
- When you try to open TestReplica.mdb in Access 2000, you are prompted to open or convert the database.
- Click Convert.
Note that the database opens successfully as an Access 2000 replica.
Additional query words: pra jet 3 5 4 0
Keywords: kbbug kberrmsg kbpending KB247489