Microsoft KB Archive/247447
Article ID: 247447
Article Last Modified on 3/2/2007
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
This article was previously published under Q247447
When you use the Network Connection Wizard to create a dial-up connection to your Internet service provider (ISP) on a computer running Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server and then attempt to connect to the ISP, an extra area code appears in front of the ISP phone number. This behavior occurs in large metropolitan areas that have multiple area codes for local calls.
To work around this problem, configure the area code rules in Control Panel. Follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, double-click Phone And Modem Options.
- Click Dialing Rules.
- Select the dialing location, and then click Edit.
- Click Area Code Rules.
- Click New.
- Click Include only the prefixes in the list below, and then add the appropriate prefixes, according to your local dialing requirements.
- Click OK to save the rule.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
Additional query words: dial-up network connection
Keywords: kbprb KB247447