Microsoft KB Archive/246999
Article ID: 246999
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q246999
When you dock a Compaq Armada 7800 portable computer running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 detects the Compaq peripheral component interconnect (PCI) integrated device electronics (IDE) controller but does not detect the Plug and Play driver for the controller.
To work around this behavior, use the wizard to install the driver. Then follow these steps after the system detects a Compaq PCI IDE controller and the Found New Hardware Wizard appears.
- Click Next.
- Click Next, and then click Next to search for a suitable driver.
- Under Where to look for the driver, click the appropriate option.
- Because a Microsoft driver for the device already exists, click to clear the check boxes.
- Click Next to search for the Mshdc.inf driver in the \Winnt\Inf folder.
- Click Finish to allow Setup to continue detecting devices.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional.
Additional query words: pnp
Keywords: kbbug kbnofix KB246999