Microsoft KB Archive/246867
Article ID: 246867
Article Last Modified on 2/27/2007
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q246867
Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server message tracking logs have a new feature that can make it easier for you to identify messages in the tracking log: The ability to enable the logging of the Subject field of the message. This feature also displays the subject of the messages in Exchange 2000 Queue Viewer.
You enable message tracking in Exchange 2000 at the Server object level.
To enable Subject logging in message tracking logs as well as display the subject in Queue Viewer:
- Start Exchange System Manager.
- Navigate the Exchange organization tree until you find the container labeled Servers.
NOTE: The Servers container can be at the top level if no Administrative Groups are defined or displayed. If Administrative Groups are defined or displayed, the Servers container is located in the relevant Administrative Group container.
- Click to expand the Servers container to see the list of servers.
- Click the server on which you want to enable tracking.
- Right-click, and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, click to select the Enable subject logging and display check box.
If you do not select the Enable message tracking check box, no tracking logs are created. However, the subject of the messages is available through Queue Viewer.
Issues of confidentiality have been raised on the topic of exposing message Subject field information. Confidentiality is why the message Subject field is not logged by default (in addition to the obvious performance issues associated with logging this additional piece of information).
Keywords: kbinfo KB246867