Microsoft KB Archive/246782
Article ID: 246782
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
This article was previously published under Q246782
When you upgrade your Compaq computer from Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 to Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, you may receive the following error message after you install the Compaq Software Support Disk (SSD) and Service Pack 3 for Windows NT 4.0:
This cause is unknown.
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
- Install a parallel copy of Windows NT 4.0 on the computer that previously ran Windows NT 3.51.
- Install the Compaq SSD and Service Pack 3 for Windows NT 4.0 to the folder that contains the parallel installation.
- Copy all files from the original \Winnt35\System32 folder to a shared network drive.
- Delete all files in the \Winnt35\System32 folder on the computer.
- Copy all files in the \Winnt\System32 folder of the parallel installation to the original \Winnt35\System32 folder.
- Copy the backup files from the network shared drive to the original \Winnt35\System32 folder.
- At the prompt about overwriting existing files, click No To All.
- Restart to the original installation.
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Keywords: kbprb KB246782