Microsoft KB Archive/246701
PSS ID Number: 246701
Article Last Modified on 6/11/2002
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Index Server 2.0
This article was previously published under Q246701
Some searches against Microsoft Index Server may fail when using a language specific word breaker. he Neutral word breaker can be used as a workaround. This article explains removing the language specific word breaker ensuring that the Neutral word breaker is used.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
The following is an example on how to remove all word breakers except for the Neutral word breaker
- Run Regedt32.exe.
- Select the Language key and Save it to a backup file.
- Double-click on the InstalledLangs value and remove all lines except for the one showing "Neutral". Click OK.
- Delete all keys except Neutral below Language.
- Stop and then restart the index service.
- Rebuild the catalog by doing a full build.
There are some differences that should be noted when using only the Neutral word breaker:
- In all languages, "advanced" normalization acts differently:
- Dates: 9/9/99 and 9-9-1999 will not match
- Numbers: 1,000 and 1000 will not match
- Hyphens: database and data-base will not match
- In German compound decomposition will not work.
- In other European languages lose clitic stripping is lost, which may reduce the chances of matching.
- Word stemming will no longer work. Word stemming is where a query on "flew**" returns documents matching flew, fly, flown, and so forth.
Keywords: kbDSupport kbinfo KB246701
Technology: kbAudDeveloper kbIdxServ200 kbIdxServSearch