Microsoft KB Archive/246549
Article ID: 246549
Article Last Modified on 10/25/2006
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 1
This article was previously published under Q246549
Accelerated Remote Control clients lose acceleration permanently after upgrading to Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Systems Management Server service pack that contains this hotfix.
To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The typical support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
Date Time Size File name Platform ------------------------------------------------------- 01/13/2000 11:55p 67 Compver1118.ini Alpha 01/18/2000 12:20a 1,656,697 Remctrl.exe Alpha 01/13/2000 11:55p 67 Compver1118.ini Intel 01/18/2000 12:20a 1,292,504 Remctrl.exe Intel
NOTE: Due to file dependencies, the most recent hotfix or feature that contains the above files may also contain additional files.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Systems Management Server version 2.0 SP1.
To install the hotfix, use the appropriate method.
Using the Hotfix Installer
NOTE: This method is for Intel-based computers only.
- Create a folder in a location that is accessible to your SMS site servers.
- Copy the Q246549.exe file and platform folders to the new folder. The folder structure must be such that the program file is located one folder above the platform folders.
- Log on to your site server by using an account with administrative privileges.
- From each of the primary and secondary SMS site servers in your environment, run the hotfix program file.
- Complete any necessary manual installation steps as instructed.
NOTE: You can run the Q246549.exe file silently by using the /s switch.
- Copy the updated SMS files to a disk or network share that is accessible from the SMS site server you want to update.
- Quit the SMS Administrator console and stop all SMS services from within Control Panel. If the SMS_SITE_BACKUP service is running, stop that as well.
- Copy the Remctrl.exe file from the appropriate
Platformfolder into the
- Replace the Compver.ini file in the
Drive:\Sms\Inboxes\Clicomp.src\Remctrl folder with the Compver1118.ini file located in the hotfix bundle source folder after renaming the file to Compver.ini.
- Restart the SMS site services. The new files are replicated to all logon points and CAPs. After all logon points and CAPs are updated, allow an additional 23 hours for clients to begin their update polling cycle. A reboot of the client may be required to load the updated acceleration driver.
Additional query words: prodsms
Keywords: kbhotfixserver kbqfe kbbug kbfix kbqfe kbsms200fix KB246549