Microsoft KB Archive/246533
WINS Reporting Numerous Event 4202 and 4243 Error Messages
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0
When you use Network Monitor in Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 to collect network data ('sniff') on the hub Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS) server, you may find that the server is constantly taking replication requests. Event Viewer may repeatedly record events 4202 and 4243.
This behavior can occur when the WINS Manager Replicate On Address Change check box is active. In a large work environment where Internet Protocol (IP) addresses constantly change, the hub WINS server carries a tremendous load, one that can exceed the server's capacity to handle the requests.
To resolve this behavior, use either of the following procedures:
Clear the Replicate On Address Change check box
- In WINS Manager, click Configuration on the Server menu.
- Click to clear the Replicate On Address Change check box.
- Click OK, and then click the Close button.
Increase the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) lease renewal interval
- In the left pane of the DHCP Manager window, click the network address of the scope.
- On the Scope menu, click Properties.
- In the Lease Duration area, click Limited To, and then increase the lease duration.
NOTE: Changing the duration changes the lease renewal interval.
- Click OK.
Additional query words: nt 4.0 4202 4243
Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbWinNTsearch kbWinNT400xsearch kbWinNTSsearch kbWinNTS400xsearch kbWinNTS400
Last Reviewed: November 20, 1999