Microsoft KB Archive/246151
Article ID: 246151
Article Last Modified on 10/30/2006
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
This article was previously published under Q246151
IN THIS TASK
- To configure the Fax service to deliver received faxes to Outlook 2000
- For Additional Information About the Logon Account
To gain access to the Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) e-mail client profile, you must configure the Microsoft Windows 2000 Fax Service to run under an Administrator account. To enable MAPI functionality in the Fax service, you must configure several items:
- The user must be a member of the local computer Administrator group and you must install a MAPI-enabled e-mail client (for example, Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange Client).
- You must have a MAPI profile for the user account.
- You must change the Fax service from the default system account to the e-mail client user's account.
This action changes the Received Faxes box in the Windows 2000 Fax Management console modem properties to send the received faxes to local e-mail inbox using the profile name from the e-mail client.
To Configure the Fax Service to Deliver Received Faxes to Outlook 2000
- Log on with local computer administrative privileges.
- Configure the Windows 2000 Fax Service to receive faxes.
- Install Outlook 2000 with the corporate or workgroup e-mail service options.NOTE: This action allows the use of profiles.
- Make sure that Outlook 2000 is the default e-mail client.NOTE: You can enable the default e-mail client at the end of the Outlook 2000 installation wizard. If you forget to enable Outlook 2000 as the default e-mail client, you can do so later using the following steps:
- Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- On the Programs tab, make sure the E-mail box setting is Microsoft Outlook.
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Administrative Tools.
- Double-click Services.
- Right-click Fax Service, and then click Properties.
- On the Log On tab, click This account.
- Change the default setting from LocalSystem to your account.
- Type and confirm a valid password for the account, and then click OK.
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Fax.
- On the Advanced Options tab, click Fax Service Management Console.
- Click Devices, and then double-click the modem entry in the right panel.
- On the Received Faxes tab, click to select the Send to Local e-mail inbox check box, and then click the profile name associated with Outlook 2000.NOTE: If the profile name option is unavailable, make sure you correctly completed the steps above. The most common mistake is not changing the Fax service to log on as a user account with Administrator rights.
- Stop and restart the Fax service.
For Additional Information About the Logon Account
- Click Start, and then click Help.
- On the Index tab, type fax service management, and then double-click the Logon account topic.
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
239888 Fax Service Does Not Use Dialing Rule Calling Card Information
Keywords: kbenv kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB246151