Microsoft KB Archive/246113
Article ID: 246113
Article Last Modified on 10/9/2003
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.02
This article was previously published under Q246113
When you start multiple new instances of Internet Explorer (for example, by pressing CTRL+N) and then move the windows around the screen, the browser's window data may be corrupted. This occurs only on multiple-processor computers with the color palette set to 256 colors.
This behavior is caused by the way Mshtml responds to the WM_PAINT message.
To resolve this issue, upgrade to Internet Explorer 5.01.
To work around this behavior, use any of the following methods:
- Set the color palette to more than 256 colors:
- Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
- Click the Settings tab.
- In the Color Palette box, click a setting with more than 256 colors.
- Click OK.
- Disable all but the first processor by adding "Numproc=1" to the Boot.ini file.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Keywords: kbprb kbdisplay KB246113