Microsoft KB Archive/246057
Article ID: 246057
Article Last Modified on 2/21/2002
- Microsoft COM+ 1.0
This article was previously published under Q246057
When you export a COM+ application as an application proxy on a client computer and you change the RemoteServerName (RSN), the COM+ Explorer displays an error message stating that the Microsoft Messaging Queue Server (MSMQ) is unavailable and logs an error report in the event log.
To work around this issue, perform one of the following:
- Change the application proxy (for example, Myapp.msi) RemoteServerName (RSN) to computer XYZ, and then run the following command from the MS-DOS command prompt:
Msiexec /I myapp.msi RemoteServerName=XYZ
- Specify the server directly by calling the CoCreateInstanceEx function, and then change the server name in the COSERVERINFO structure.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
When you export an application in COM+ as an application proxy, and then install it on a client computer, a COM+ application corresponding to that proxy appears in the COM+ Explorer.
This allows you to edit the RemoteServerName (RSN) for an application proxy. If you change the RSN, subsequent activations of the component take place on the new server that you specified.
When you change the RSN on a client computer, the COM+ Explorer displays the following error message:
NOTE: This error message is logged as an error report in the event log.
If queuing is enabled on the server application before you export it as an application proxy, COM+ tries to change the MSMQ information to the new RSN specified on the client computer. If MSMQ is not available on the client computer, the error message appears.
Currently, this error message occurs even if queuing is not enabled in the server application.
Steps to Reproduce the Behavior:
- Create a new COM+ application in Component Services Explorer.
- Install a new component in the application.
- Export this application as an application proxy to a client computer running Windows 2000.
- Install the proxy on this client computer.
- On the client computer, open the proxy application in Component Services Explorer.
- Right-click the installed proxy application, and then click Properties.
- Click the Activation tab, and then change the RemoteServerName.
- The COM+ Explorer displays an error message stating that the MSMQ is unavailable.
Additional query words: MSMQ, export, application proxy, RSN
Keywords: kbbug kbsysadmin kbclientserver kbpending KB246057